The group of officers that I met when I first arrived are beginning to depart Afghanistan for home. Though I am extremely happy that they will be reunited with their families, part of me disappointed that they have left. After working closely with them for ten months, I have begun to rely on them for support and sanity from time to time.
Today in particular, I watch a good friend get on a blackhawk and begin his journey home. As his helicopter got smaller, I thought of the fun we had, as well as, the tough times we struggled through as fellow staff officers.
Another few officers leave in the next couple of days which will bring more changes to the dynamic of J5.
Fortunately, each departure brings me closer to mine and the day I get to go home for good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are all looking forward to your homecoming but I suspect there are three special ladies who are just a bit more than the rest of us :)
ReplyDeleteI remember the day we chased the Nimitz out passed Pt.Loma and saw it "disappear" over the horizon....thinking your tour had begun and now we started to count the days of this tour til you returned...Maybe they will have a package of s'mores arrive like your last friend. Are there new replacements? Not the same. You are a short-timer.
ReplyDeleteWere they the M & M buddies?
Go spend Oct. 13th with the Navy guys!
We are grateful for you and all the men and women who are serving us.
love,
M