Friday, January 15, 2010

Packages

I would first like to thank everyone that has sent a package, letter, card, or e-mail. Each and everyone of them has brought a smile to my face and helps me stay connected with home. I appreciate all your support.

Fortunately for me, I am on a nice base with a very good dining facility. Due to the hours that some of us keep they actually serve four meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight meal). So I really do not want for any food.

That being said, I would like to ask for a favor. The sweets are nice, but I really don't need them. However, United States Forces - Afghanistan is sponsoring a local elementary school. Periodically, people from our command go out to the school to help around the site. They also try to bring school and general supplies. So if you are planning on sending a package in the future, please consider sending items that can be donated to this school. At the end of this post are the suggested donation items.

As a reminder my mailing address is (don't put my rank on the package for security reasons):

USFOR-A / J5
NKC
APO, AE 09356

I truly believe that education will help win this war on terrorism better and more thoroughly than any combat action will.

Thank you and God Bless.

Needed Items: Conservative clothing for men, women, and children. During winter months, items like gloves, mittens, hats, scarves, coats, socks, and blankets.
non-electronic toys: soccer balls, other types of balls, stuffed animals, toy cars, dolls, etc.
school supplies: pads of paper, pencils, pencil sharpeners, crayons, markers, pens, metric rulers, scissors (the type for elementary children), children’s books, books with pictures, large (2 ½ gallon size) reseal-able baggies (Ziploc bags to put the school supplies in).
Personal hygiene items: soap, shampoo, tooth brush, tooth paste, lotions, band aids, combs, brushes, wet wipes, chap stick, wash cloths.

Please do NOT send: Religious material. Afghanistan is a conservative Muslim country so we can’t give religious material. Also be cautious about any gift items that might offend them. Do not send food items (except hard candy) or any other item prohibited by the postal system. They also do not use disposable diapers or western style feminine hygiene items.

3 comments:

  1. So obviously, the hygiene items need to be new, and "consumable" school supplies (i.e., crayons, glue, pencils, pens, etc.) ought to be new, but can the clothing and toys we send be clean but "gently used"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, used clothes and toys are fine as long as they are intact and clean. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kid's school is sending a package for both you and the school. I think they are targeting Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete