Last week I headed down to Southern Afghanistan to work with the US Marine Corps. Some of the Partner Nations will be working with them. I had some work to coordinate events which all went well during that trip.
On my way home, I had to take a C-130 that stopped in Kandahar. I was one of the first to board, so I ended up near the front. It was very late so I tried to catch some sleep. Needless to say, I did not see the cargo that was loaded at the back of the plane.
Once we arrived in Kandahar, they let us get off the plane to stretch our legs. I was half asleep as I wandered back towards the cargo ramp. As I came across the first pallet, I was stunned by what I saw. It was a single pallet with only two six foot boxes. Each box was draped with an Afghanistan flag.
When we initially boarded, I did not think much of the Afghan National Army soldiers that were boarding with us. But here in front of me lay two of their fallen soldiers. As a staff officer, I am sheltered from this reality of war, so it struck me hard to see this.
Seeing these coffins specifically with Afghanistan flags seemed to have an extremely strong impact on me. We often hear of the sacrifices that US service members have made. I have also heard many complaints that the Afghan people need to step up and take responsibility for the future of their country.
As I looked at these boxes, I faced the reality that the Afghan people are taking responsibility. The handful of ANA soldiers on the flight know that they may be brought home in a box someday, but they were still here. They were still in uniform serving their country.
I would ask that as you keep the US and Coalition Forces in your thoughts and prayers, that you do not forget those that are defending their own nation. They are doing their part.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for sharing this with us. It puts all of our little problems in perspective.
ReplyDeleteVery powerful imagery Matthew. Thanks for this reminder - - and we will continue to pray for you and all those there with you. An Noah prays every night, "God bless everybody."
ReplyDeleteIt seems as though the Afghans actually have a long history of dying for their country. Thank you for this reminder. It's one of the many reasons we're so proud of you! :)
ReplyDeleteVery moving post Matthew, especially after your last post with the pictures of the proud Afghan National Army recruits. I think Noah has summed it up for us.
ReplyDelete